Saturday, April 28, 2012

Breaking Chains Link by Link

So, I'm not a natural fundraiser. It's just not in me. But do you know what I like to do? I LOVE hanging out with friends, engaging in conversation about the world around us, and have a deep appreciation for local artists. I'm also passionate about the work that Amirah does. Putting the pieces together, I decided it was time for a jewelry party!

So one fine November evening, with a batch of brownies in the oven and the husband kicked out to do "manly things", my tiny apartment filled to the brim with the beautiful artistry of a local jeweler and some dear friends who cared enough to carve out a few hours to hear about the need for a safe house.

It took a whole of 30 minutes to create an Evite and invite a few folks over. And we had a ball! Not only did I check multiple people off my "Christmas Shopping List", but we raised some money (and awareness!) for Amirah.

Folks across the nation are getting creative with different fundraising ideas to help Amirah open it's doors:
  • A local college student asked her birthday party guests to donate to Amirah (see photo to the left) in lieu of gifts for herself.
  • A church in the area will be hosting a concert that will be used as a fundraising event for Amirah as well.
  • An individual has invited local vendors to set up a "bazaar" in her home one Saturday afternoon. Each vendor has committed to donating a % of their proceeds to Amirah. She is even having local restaurants donate appetizers! 
There are a multitude of ways you can get involved with fundraising for Amirah. After reading Arwyn's latest blog post, I was inspired by the quote she used:

"I am only one, but I am one.  I cannot do everything, but I can do something.  And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do." - Edward Everett Hale


What is the one thing YOU will do?

No comments:

Post a Comment