Saturday, October 1, 2011

Unsettled: Part II

By Jodi

What Can I Do?

The facts and statistics are overwhelming. What am I, a stay-at-home mom, to do? I’m just trying to win the daily battles against the never-ending laundry pile, temper tantrums, and sibling rivalry.  My plate feels pretty full most days, but as I’m confronted with this brutal reality of human trafficking right here in my very own community, my perspective on life has changed.  I’m unsettled and restless in my daily routine.  This horrific injustice has gripped my heart and will not let go.  As a woman, a mother, and a follower of Christ, I am not ok with women and young children becoming victims of sexual slavery.  I am compelled to do something. Right now, a new safehouse called Amirah House is being prepared to provide restorative, whole-person care for human trafficking survivors in the greater Boston area. I am so energized and inspired by Amirah’s mission that I jumped at the chance to become their guest blogger and help raise awareness. Amirah is scheduled to open its doors this fall. To find out how you can help, visit www.amirahboston.org or email info@amirahboston.org.

Making a difference really is easier than you might think.  Here are some easy, practical steps to fight human trafficking:
1.     Learn more about slavery/trafficking through these great organizations:  
a.     Polaris Project (www.polarisproject.org)
b.     NotForSale (www.notforsalecampaign.org)
c.     International Justice Mission (www.ijm.org)
d.     ECPAT International (www.ecpat.net)
2.     Use your voice – it’s louder and more influential than you think!
a.     Tell family & friends.  So many people simply do not know.
b.     Use Facebook or Twitter to speak out & keep those in your circle of influence informed.
c.     Take 5 minutes (literally that’s it!) to email/call your elected government officials. Ask state/local officials to make anti-trafficking laws a priority. Urge Congress to pass the Trafficking Victims Protection Reauthorization Act. For more info go to: www.ijm.org/justice-campaigns/tvpra
3.     Give of your time and/or resources
a.     Contact Amirah House. Maybe you have a skill-set they could use: accounting, marketing, event-planning, etc. Donate MBTA transit cards, old cell phones, frequent flyer miles. There are many ways to help!
b.     Not in Boston? Find a local safehouse or program supporting at-risk youth who are vulnerable to domestic sex trafficking. 
c.     Donate money/ hold a garage sale & donate the profits to an anti-trafficking organization or safehouse dedicated to the rescue & restoration of trafficking survivors.

No matter how busy my life seems, it cannot continue “business as usual.” I’m unsettled by what I now know:  unsettled from my comfortable existence in which I chose to block out all the injustices of the world, unsettled from my passive attitude that such problems are for other people to solve, unsettled into action.

Now that you know, what will you do?


*Please note that the views expressed do not necessarily represent those of everyone associated with Amirah, Inc. or any institutions with which the blogger may be affiliated.

No comments:

Post a Comment