Sunday, May 1, 2011

“I may not be there yet, but I’m closer than I was yesterday.”


I may not be there yet, but I’m closer than I was yesterday. ~Author Unknown

‘Not there yet’…frustrating words to a personality like mine, and maybe to a personality like yours. I like achieving milestones and feeling the accomplishment that comes with seeing things become better than they were before.

Confession: this aspect of my personality directly leads to my love of cleaning kitchens and bathrooms as well as polishing silver. What’s better than seeing immediate results of good elbow grease?

The problem with immediate results lies in their lack of of longevity.  A clean house and a sparkling serving platter are lovely to have, but they quickly become dirty and tarnished again and there’s no further progress or vision achievable beyond the continuing cycle of dirty-clean-dirty.

The efforts needed to create lasting change, like building a kitchen or creating silver serving pieces, take much longer and require the patience to plan; to recognize results in the midst of sawdust and lumps of melted metal.

At Amirah, we seek lasting change. We work to bring attention to the growing problem of human trafficking and create a place for lives impacted by the industry to be re-built and refined.  Perhaps the results will never be immediate, but the progress fluidly catapults us forward…

I’m learning to live in the joy of knowing we are moving closer every day to opening our doors.  Of knowing that each day brings more people involved in the effort and movement than there were before.  Yes, we are most certainly closer today than we were yesterday and that is a beautiful thing.
Now if I could just find time to clean my kitchen.

“Do not get discouraged– it may be he last key on the ring that opens the door.”  -Stansifer

No comments:

Post a Comment