Wednesday, February 16, 2011

“The key to change…is to let go of fear.”

Roseanne Cash said that.  As the eldest daughter of Johnny Cash and his first wife, international recording artist in her own right, and a brain surgery survivor, she’s certainly experienced her fair share of change.

Change can be chosen or encountered or forced.  It can be planned or a complete surprise.  It can be personal or collective.  How we choose to respond to change is completely our responsibility, however, and I tend to wholeheartedly agree with Roseanne that  letting go of fear in the midst of change is the key to really embracing and enjoying all of it’s innate potentiality.  Hannah Hurnard describes it in ‘Hinds Feet on High Places’ as acceptance with joy and bearing the cost…

It is with these perspectives firmly in my mind and heart that I excitedly join the Amirah team as the Director of Operations.  I have seen and experienced much in my life that brought about change in tangible ways and introspective ways, but the possible change which now lies before me is easily the most frightening and inspiring yet.

Change: to offer unconditional care to women who have been overshadowed by a price tag.
Change: to remind our comfortable society that we are putting up with atrocities that should not be.
Change: to give up the comfort of a steady lifestyle to run after justice that may never be completely fulfilled.

I am offering up my fear daily to serve these women and all of you to the best of my abilities and I love it!  The first two weeks as Director of Operations have already pushed me and encouraged me in ways that surprised me.  I can’t wait to go further up and further in.  Are you with me?  Ready to pursue social change without fear?

No comments:

Post a Comment